December 14, 2011

Nine.

Nine years ago today, I married a man that I barely knew. Compared to today, at least.

I knew the important things. I knew he loved Jesus and he loved me (in that order). I knew he was kind and that I loved being with him. I knew his likes and dislikes. I knew him better than anyone else did.

But still . . . there was so much left unknown. Before I was married, I remember hearing women say, "I had no idea what I was getting myself into before I got married. There were so many things I didn't know." 9 years ago today, I found myself in the same boat.

But I got so, so lucky.

I knew Kyle loved me, but I had no idea how wonderfully he would treat me. I knew he was patient, but I didn't know what that really meant until he extended his patience to me for the millionth time. I knew he was generous, but I had no idea how much he would give. I knew that he'd make a fantastic father, but it never occurred to me that he would be so good at it, that I'd sometimes watch him in an effort to learn how to be a better parent.

He's not perfect. I could make you a list of his imperfections and sometimes, on the bad days, I do.

But I consider myself lucky for getting to be his wife. Happy anniversary, Kyle!

2 comments:

heresthediehl said...

I just got teary...this was so sweet and so full of things I could say about my husband, too.

Happy anniversary!

Monica said...

hello! got to you from Blogher featured posts. i liked your post - congrats on a milestone. i've been married 20 years and reading anniversary posts never gets old for me. i like the look and feel of your blog, so i apologize ahead of time if i become a little stalkerish. ;o) happy new year!

My name is Sara. This is my blog.

My Photo
sara luke
This blog is the story of my life as a wife and stay-at-home, work-full-time at a camp, small-business-owning mom (the details of which can only be explained using multiple diagrams and flow charts). It’s a collection of the anecdotes, photographs and thoughts that result from the craziness and loveliness of living my life.
View my complete profile
www.flickr.com
This template made by and copyright Christine's Blog Templates.