August 21, 2009

A typical breakfast conversation.

It truly is an act of God that mothers of 2-year-olds stay sane.

Me: Do you want bananas on your toast?

Jack: Yeah.

Me: Yes . . . ?

Jack: Yes, pease.

Me: Here you go.

Jack: NO BANANAS ON MY TOAST.

Me: That's what you wanted.

Jack: I want cookies, intead.

Me: No. Not for breakfast.

Jack: Cam I have cookies?

Me: No.

Jack: Why?

Me: Because we don't eat cookies for breakfast.

Jack: Why?

Me: Because I said so.

Jack: WHy?

Me: Why not?

Jack: YOu should not say, 'Why not!' . . . Where we going today?

Me: Nowhere. We're staying home today.

Jack fake cries for about 30 seconds.

Jack: Where we go desterday?

Me: The library and the store.

Jack: Oh.

Jack: Are we going that way today (pointing out the window)?

Me: Nope.

Jack: Why?

Me: Because I said so.

Jack: Why?

Me: Why not?

Jack: YOu should not say, 'Why not!' . . . What kind of orange juice are you drinking?

Me: The same kind you are.

Jack: The orange kind?

Me: Yep.

Jack: Why?

Me: Why not?

Jack: YOu should not say, 'Why not!' . . . I want to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Come inside, it's fun inside.

Me: Maybe later, but not right now.

Jack fake cries for 30 seconds and becomes intrigued by the bug on the window.

Jack: What's that bug doing?

Me: Crawling.

Jack: Why?

Me: Why not?

Jack: YOu should not say, 'Why not!' . . . A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, Y, J, K, L-M-N-O-P, Q, S, T, V, X, Z . . . next time sing with me. What am I doing, Mama?

Me: I don't know. What are you doing.

Jack: I'm a robot, they do it like this!

Me: Are you all done?

Jack: NO! . . . Okie, dokie.

Me: So, are you done?

Jack: NO! I'm playing hide and seek with my toast!

Me: Alright, you're done.

Jack: I'm NOT DONE!

Me: Put your food on your plate. We don't play with it.

Jack: Why?

11 comments:

Kelli said...

oh...gotta love the "why?" questions. i've been trying to teach elle that instead of always asking why, just say, "oh! that's interesting!" i don't think she even wants to know why, she just wants to talk...

Sarah said...

laughing, laughing, laughing!. I love Jack! :)

Jen said...

Pretty sure that just made my entire day :)

Melanie Eccles said...

I'm certain that many times you are completely annoyed or frustrated by this guy but I must admit that every single statement or conversation of his that I read absolutely cracks me up. He's too smart for his own britches (as my mom might say.)

and we're still thinking/praying, fyi. Let us know if we need to make a super fast decision.

Anonymous said...

oh, jack, give your mama a break :)

very funny, though, sara!

Jeanette said...

I love it--especially the fake cry for 30 seconds.

The Giffen Family said...

oh girl, I'm right there with you today! Except Will is doing more than fake crying (lots of tantrums, love it)
Thanks for reminding me I'm not alone :) {I totally agree it's an act of God...my sanity is teetering though}

Sara Neufeld said...

Oh my word, that is hilarious. I know, not really hilarious for you, but for me. so thanks for allowing me to giggle at your expense. :)

Erin K. said...

Wow - that sounds familiar. Have Jack and Kaitlyn been sharing notes?

Emily said...

I can't believe Jack can have conversation like that!! wow!

Kristi said...

Hahaha. That kid literally rates in my top 5 of funniest kids.