November 1, 2007

I'm in a recession.

Today was a rough day. If you don't believe me, just ask my husband.

To be quite honest, the last 6 weeks or so have been difficult. I don't know if it's possible to suffer from post-partum depression 5 months after the fact . . . and I'm not sure depression is the right word for what I've been going through. I think that might be a little too strong. I think recession is probably a better description. I've been going through post-post-partum recession. How's that for a diagnosis?

For the last week or so, things were looking up. Circumstances haven't changed, but my outlook on life and my stress level had both seemed to find balance. Today, however, the floodgates opened. With tough decisions hanging over my head, frustration over unmet expectations, deadlines looming, financial stress at a peak and my hair still falling out by the fistful, I just reached my breaking point and ended up crying at my desk in the little corner of our office that isn't filled with papers, boxes and other trash for which we have no other storage area.

As I was driving home for the third time today, I remembered a prayer that I've prayed on other "bad days." Here it is:

Father, give to us, and to all your people, in times of anxiety, serenity; in times of hardship, courage; in times of uncertainty, patience; and at all time, a quiet trust in your wisdom and love; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
I'm praying it as my own tonight.

2 comments:

Cristi Hammond said...

Can I borrow that prayer??? I'm having one of those days...

Cristi Hammond said...

Can I borrow that prayer??? I'm having one of those days...